A Few Good Quotes

"There is something so settled and stodgy about turning a great romance into next of kin on an emergency room form, and something so soothing and special, too." ~ Anna Quindlen

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" ~Mary Anne Radmacher

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Blog-A-Thon: Family Baby Shower

Get ready for a blog-a-thon! I have been MIA for almost a month. Terrible! But I was very busy finishing up work and then there was Thanksgiving, and now I've been bustling around getting ready for our cricket's arrival. Enough excuses! Here comes more blog posts than you can handle.
First up, my Family Shower. What a WONDERFUL time of celebrating this amazing gift with the ladies in my family. Ian's mom and sister where there, of course, as well as aunts and cousins from my mom's side as well as my dad's. And my sisters and sister-in-laws were there, as they all helped to throw it, with our matriarch, Nellie. Every detail was so perfectly planned and the ABC theme carried through to the tiniest detail (thanks to Sarah and my mom). Ian actually commented that he didn't know there was that much ABC stuff out there, but don't count these ladies out when there is a party with a theme on the line!
One of the other fun things about this shower was that it was at my house. Don't worry, I didn't lift a finger. My mom came over the day before to clean everything and set everything up. I just got to enjoy showing our house and nursery to many of the ladies in my family that had never seen it before. And it certainly made putting the presents away easier!
Enough words - let me show you in photos how great it was. Below is a photo of our mantel, just one of the MANY places where ABCs appeared.
My mom and sisters used my dining room and family room for seating. Didn't the family room turn out so cute?
Here it is, with people this time! From left to right, that is my Fenska cousin Amy, a Fenska aunt, Aunt Susan, Ian's mom and Ian's sister, Heather.
Here I am (in all my swollen glory), with a mound of gifts around me. What generosity! I hope it takes our baby no time at all to realize what a wonderful support system he or she has been born into.
I thought this was a fun photo that Sheila took - Ian is holding a stuffed tiger that was originally his dad's (so it's almost 60 years old now) and I'm holding Super Monkey, my most loved stuffed animal from my own childhood. Both of these sit on the shelf in our nursery.
In addition to the food and gifts and lovely women who attended, my shower was also extra special because my mom gave a short devotional. Since I'm due on my own due birthday, my mom and I have gone through the exact same pregnancy stages and it's been a really fun connection. I am constantly reminded of what a good gift this baby is and how loving and excited my family is for me.
Thanks Mom, Sarah, Mary, Sheila and Gina for this lovely shower! I enjoyed every minute and felt so celebrated!

No comments:

Post a Comment