A Few Good Quotes

"There is something so settled and stodgy about turning a great romance into next of kin on an emergency room form, and something so soothing and special, too." ~ Anna Quindlen

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" ~Mary Anne Radmacher

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Huntington Beach

This past weekend, I took Friday and Monday off work and Ian and I headed to Huntington Beach. If you know me, you know I LOVE Huntington Beach. It is truly one of my favorite places in the world. As a child, we vacationed every year, staying in the tiny apartment that has been in our family for years. After we moved to California, I would still come here, with high school friends or family. In college, my "posse" girls and I spent many a weekend in the cabin and have since had reunions there. Ian and I got engaged on the grassy knoll off PCH. And now, we get to go there as married couple for some time away from work, chores and familiar life. We love it.

Since it is likely that the property will be sold in the next few years, I felt particularly nostalgic on this trip. So, for the first time, Ian and I documented some of our time there. And we made sure to do many of my favorites, including getting shaved ice from the donut store next door. Truly, I've been getting shaved ice at that place for 25 years. It is just part of what you do when you go to Huntington (don't worry - we got donuts there twice too, I just don't have any photos of it).
We also went to the sand, pretty much all day long for three of the days we were there. Mary and Mike joined us down there for one of the days and it was super fun having their family there. For a few minutes, we got to watch the kids while they went for a walk. Naturally, I feed them in order to buy their love. Those are pita chips in their stroller. See how Sam is a little worried Abbie is going to steal all the food? And rightfully so - that little lady can eat!

Here we are on the sand. We got slightly more than sun-kissed but had an amazing time laying out, reading, playing in the waves and even boogie-boarding together. It was so fun!

Here is Ian putting on his fins and getting ready to catch some waves!

Of course, being a Sunukjian, I had to play backgammon. Ian played this game in college so it's something we also play at home, but memories of my dad and grandpa playing this game, in this same cabin, made me so sentimental!

Here we are, at the kitchen table. I will be so sad when this place is gone, but we really enjoyed our time together and I'm so thankful for the years I've had to enjoy this special place.

No comments:

Post a Comment