A Few Good Quotes

"There is something so settled and stodgy about turning a great romance into next of kin on an emergency room form, and something so soothing and special, too." ~ Anna Quindlen

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" ~Mary Anne Radmacher

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Vacation Count Down!

Oh vacation, how I love thee. Let me count the ways in which I love thee.

Truly, who doesn't love a good vacation? In just a few short days, we leave for Mexico with my side of the family. That's right, all 24 of the Don and Nell Sunukjians will be heading south of the border for a week of fun, sun and food. I can't wait!!!

In order to celebrate the upcoming vacation, I thought I would list some of the things I love about family vacation.

1. Anticipating it. Seriously, I love looking forward to vacation and counting down to it. I love that our vacation is typically in August, which means that most other people in my office have already taken their vacation and I get to still look forward to mine. Are any of you guys like that? Can I get an amen?

2. Eating! Food is always really important to our family, but on vacation, we do it up. Each unit takes a dinner meal and gets to make whatever they want. I love it, because you get to see what other families eat and enjoy new food. And for breakfast, my dad runs a morning show that is something to behold. For almost two hours of every morning of vacation, you can find him in the main kitchen, making whatever you want. Seriously. You walk in, he hands you coffee and then offers you bacon, or scrambled eggs, or waffles with whipped cream and fresh peaches, or ... It's amazing. And then, we get to take this delicious breakfast out to the back porch and eat it while taking in the view. Which brings me to number 3.

3. The view! Our family has been coming to this same spot in Mexico for several years. Last year, due to two newborns and one about to come, we went to Arrowhead. But other than that, the last 7 or so years have found us in this spot, just south of Rosarito Beach. My parents rent 5 villas that all back up to the ocean. It's amazing. The beach is a rocky one and you can truly get lost in the sound of the ocean breaking and rolling across those rocks. And the view is breathtaking. And the salt water smell. We literally sit out there for hours, just looking at the ocean.

4. The time to do whatever we want! One of the things I love most about being on vacation is not working. Mind blowing, I know. But since I mostly work at a desk, I just count the days to when I can be outside, moving around, doing different activities. On our vacations, we do tons of different activities and tons of nothing. It's perfect.

5. Games, games and games! In the grand tradition of Sunukjian family get togethers, there will be plenty of game playing this next week. We'll play bocce in the grass behind the houses, we'll play Rook at the table on the porch in the afternoon, we'll play poker at night in one of the villas, we'll have an "outdoor game tournament" for one of our scheduled evening activities, and so on. What's a little friendly competition among family? Nothing but a good time, I say.

6. Time with Ian, time alone, time with nieces and nephews, time with siblings, time with my parents, you get the picture.

I could go on and on, but whenever I do a long post (especially with no photos) I always hear about it later. =) So I'll wrap up. Needless to say, I am so excited about our upcoming vacation and so thankful to my parents, who see the value in celebrating our family and are willing to take us all to Mexico for a week.

See everyone in just a few days!

Adios!

1 comment:

  1. Really? People complain about too-long posts? Why do they read your blog then? Silly, silly. I like to read your writing--it's very good, it's interesting, and it has few errors to annoy. I like pictures, too, don't get me wrong, but I like the word-smithing you do, my dear.

    ReplyDelete