A Few Good Quotes

"There is something so settled and stodgy about turning a great romance into next of kin on an emergency room form, and something so soothing and special, too." ~ Anna Quindlen

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" ~Mary Anne Radmacher

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Some Small Frugal Choices, One Large Non Frugal Expenditure

Ian asked me recently to get him a scooper for his coffee making each morning. So I went to Target to see if I could find one. All they had there were the teaspoon measuring utensils sold in sets, for $8. So, I decided to check out the Goodwill to see what they had in the way of scoopers. And guess what? I found the perfect coffee measure for just $.29. Check out those savings!

I also went to the Goodwill looking for an Easter dress for Ruthie. All of her clothes are hand-me-downs from older cousins, which is great. But there is only one dress in her current size, and it's very summery. If Easter Sunday is warm, it could work, but it's been pretty cool round these parts recently. The annual Easter egg hunt (I'm sure lots of pictures will follow, so stay tuned) is at my parents house, outside. However, no luck at the Goodwill for a dress. Since Ruthie's past three months though, I might be able to find something in the next size up set of clothing. We'll see.

And now onto the confession - we made a very unfrugal decision this past weekend. I got an iPhone. I used to have one for the consulting work I was doing for my former company, but they recently needed it back. The day after I gave the phone back, my personal phone, which I've had for over 4 years, turned off with this error message: "Use Genuine Battery - Power Off." I have no idea what that means, and apparently neither does anyone at Verizon. We couldn't get the phone to turn on long enough to even get my contacts out (if you're reading this and you haven't sent me your phone number, please do!). Anyway, since we knew I was giving the work phone back and that my personal phone was having trouble, Ian and I began to talk about options. He really wanted me to get a phone with email, so that I could do my work and not feel like I had to be chained to the house. (I will tell you, being able to email about a rental inquiry while you're in line at Disneyland is pretty great.) But because of this blog and all my self-proclaimed attempts to be frugal, I was feeling really guilty about it. So we had decided to put things on hold and think about it.

But then my phone died and we had to make a choice quickly. I decided to go ahead and give the data plan a try - the truth is, the iPhone itself wasn't expensive. Because I had my phone for so long, I had a $50 credit toward a new phone and when I turned in my old phone, I got a $100 gift card that I could apply right in that transaction. And, when I went to my former company to return the phone, my boss handed me an envelope from Christmas that got lost in his desk. Yep, my Christmas bonus (I use the word bonus loosely - it isn't that much, but it certainly helps!). So, I got the phone, case and protector things without putting out any of our own money. It was actually cheaper to get an iPhone than a non-smart phone. See how they play you?

Anyway, I could justify the data plan with the idea that being a quick responder to work emails gets me more work and thus more commission, which I do think is accurate. But the real truth of it is that I like having email and internet on my phone and I wanted it.

So, we'll see how we do with the extra $30 a month. I do still have a little buyer's remorse at times - when I think about ways we're cutting cost, it seems silly to have added a cost. We did ask Verizon if we can change our minds, and we can; we can cancel the data plan at any time.

In the meantime, I'll still be able to provide all you avid readers wonderful photos of Ruthie, since I take those exclusively on the iPhone.

There. I feel better now that all that is off my chest.

1 comment:

  1. So Michelle and I were discussing this issue just the other day. I've only had a smartphone for about 1 year and as much as I love it (huge blog reader), I've been wondering if I can really justify keeping it after the contract is up. I, like you, am doing my best to keep expenses down. Anyway, not long after seeing your post and my conversation with Michelle I happened across this post on a coupon/money saving site. http://thekrazycouponlady.com/finance/let-your-phone-pay-for-itself-three-money-making-apps/

    I don't have the iphone, so I'm not sure how the apps work, but the title drew me in and I thought I'd share! Wouldn't it be nice to have a way to pay for the smartphones? I saw another post about getting paid to work out! Crazy.

    ReplyDelete