A Few Good Quotes

"There is something so settled and stodgy about turning a great romance into next of kin on an emergency room form, and something so soothing and special, too." ~ Anna Quindlen

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" ~Mary Anne Radmacher

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Movie Musings

Last night we saw Ides of March. It's a political drama with several actors that we really like - George Clooney, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Ryan Gosling and Paul Giamani. I was excited to see it, since I usually like movies about politics and the actors were all so strong. While we were watching it, I was very interested and engaged. But after the end of the movie, I felt, I don't know, blank. I don't want to give it away in case any of you want to see it, but it's a pretty brutal look at politicians and the ending is especially harsh.

I know not all of life is rosy, though I do tend to be on the optimistic side. But there were no redeeming characters in this movie. There was no one you could cheer for. I think I've learned that even if a movie is sad or full of brokenness, if I have just one character to root for, it's all right. If you're in the same boat as me, you may want to pass on this movie. There were some profound truths in it for sure, but some things you just don't want to be reminded of, you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment