A Few Good Quotes

"There is something so settled and stodgy about turning a great romance into next of kin on an emergency room form, and something so soothing and special, too." ~ Anna Quindlen

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" ~Mary Anne Radmacher

Friday, June 3, 2011

Did I Tell You We Got Citrus Trees?

When we first started working on our backyard, about a year ago now, I told Ian that I wanted a "citrus grove." Of course, by that I meant three mini citrus trees. We originally intended to plant them against the wall of our neighbors garage, since we have an existing bed already there. However, the lovely people at Armstrong told Ian that citrus trees need lots of sun. Since that area doesn't get that much sun, Ian decided to buy used wine barrels and plant our orange, lemon and lime trees in those barrels.

He worked so hard over his spring break a few weeks ago (he had to drill lots of holes for water) and here they are. Don't they look so cute?





We didn't want to leave that other bed empty though, and Ian knew I love roses, so he surprised me with four rose bushes, which are already blooming. Aren't they lovely?




Ian also got a fountain (which he is very in love with). And I can't blame him - the sound of running water is so nice while we're eating dinner under the veranda. It seems to be drowning out some of the traffic noise, which is great. He also got two more wine barrels and planted some wisteria, that he hopes will grow over the top of the veranda and make the whole patio completely shaded.


So here is the most update to date photo of our backyard - doesn't it look great? Ian did such a good job! In this photo, you can just barely make out the hanging plants, but they actually make a really big difference in the space. We heart our backyard!



3 comments:

  1. The readers of your blog may be beginning to think I'm the best person in the world, not a single fault!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ian DOES seem to appear fairly often, and in the most glowing of terms. Actually, it's refreshing. You always speak well of your husband, which is a wonderful quality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What can I say? He's amazing. He gives me nothing to complain about, hence the hero-esque status he has on this blog (and in my heart). I know, I know, you all just threw up in your mouth. =)

    ReplyDelete