A Few Good Quotes

"There is something so settled and stodgy about turning a great romance into next of kin on an emergency room form, and something so soothing and special, too." ~ Anna Quindlen

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" ~Mary Anne Radmacher

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Always Listen to Your Mother

So my mom came over for dinner last night. My dad's out of town and she was babysitting for one of my sister's near by, so she came to our house afterwards. I love having my mom in our home, because, well, I love my mom, and she's easy company and always thrilled with whatever you serve her and how your house looks. And I think I especially love having her in our home because she made our home possible. I know I've shared before that they invested with us, but I don't know if I've ever been super specific. Plain and simple, my mom gave up her 401K so we could have a house. Pretty amazing, huh? They cashed out her whole account and helped us with the down payment. Ian and I plan on never taking our home for granted and I'm sure you can understand why.

Anyway, that isn't the point of this post. While she was over, I (as any 5th child would when they have their mom's undivided attention) told her all the woes of my recent and prolonged sickness. I told her all my symptoms, in the details you give to your mom - the color of my snot, how tired I am, my sore throat in the mornings, how I'm coughing at night, and so on. She said she thought I should see the doctor, that it sounded like a sinus infection.

Usually when people tell me to go to the doctor, I brush them off. I don't want to waste my time (and money) going to the doctor for them to tell me I have a cold and that I'll feel better in a few days. I could figure that out for myself. But since we're leaving for DC tomorrow (hello Lindsey, Sarah and Mel!), I thought I would try to at least see if there was anything they could do. I've had this for 11 days now, so that's pretty annoying.

So, I went to my doctor's office this morning right after they opened and prayed for a cancellation. As it turned out, they had a no show and I was able to get in and be seen. And guess what the doctor said? BRONCHITIS. Can you believe that? I really don't feel that bad, just worn out and run down. But now I'm going to go on my lunch and pick up the prescription and hopefully feel better soon.

Moral of the story? Always listen to your mother. She knows best.

1 comment:

  1. 2 comments:
    1. you absolutely made our mother's day. "you were right" are some favorite words.
    2. as a mother myself, I would like to bookmark this page, print it, frame it and give it each of my children. Hannah, of course, would say, "told you!"

    ReplyDelete