A Few Good Quotes

"There is something so settled and stodgy about turning a great romance into next of kin on an emergency room form, and something so soothing and special, too." ~ Anna Quindlen

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" ~Mary Anne Radmacher

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Two Frugal Activities, One Verdict

I think I mentioned that we are selling some of our books. Other than the aforementioned issue at the post office, it has been going great. We've sold about $45 dollars worth, which really isn't that much money, but it's at least a night out (if we score some free babysitting). It also means less clutter around our house, which is always a good thing. And, it's good for the earth for us to use things and then let someone else use them, instead of always buying things new. So, win-win-win.

That is frugal activity number one. The second is recycling bottles. This past weekend, we celebrated Ian's 30th birthday with a huge bash at our house. I combined several of Ian's great loves, beer and cheese, for a beer tasting party that also included a dart tournament, pizza, lots of snacks and beer bottle centerpieces. Ian had a great time (thanks to all of you who were there!) and the party was smashing success, if I do say so myself.

Back to the point.

At the end of the night, we had more beer bottles than a frat house after spring break. So, I thought I would make some of our money back by taking it to the recycle center. Yesterday, about 15 minutes before Ruthie's nap, I throw the bottles into the car, toss in Ruthie and head off to the center, which is less than 3 minutes in the car.

Sadly, though, that center was out of order. So then I had to drive 10 minutes to the next closest one, which of course had a big line. Ruthie's melting down now, since I cut it too close to her nap, so I put her on the Bjorn. When it's finally my turn, I'm tossing the bottles in like there is no tomorrow and last dregs of beer are dripping all over me and Ruthie. After putting in what felt like a hundred bottles, I push the green button to get my receipt, guess what my total was?

A whopping $3.60.

Verdict? Selling books, good. Taking bottles to the recycling center? Not worth my time and effort. There are easier ways to make $3.60. Don't worry, we'll still recycle them - I'll just be letting someone else get the money.

And you know how I know this? I am doing the watering while I blog and I just went out to change the sprinkler and found someone digging through my trash, pulling out bottles. More power to you, sir.

No comments:

Post a Comment