A Few Good Quotes

"There is something so settled and stodgy about turning a great romance into next of kin on an emergency room form, and something so soothing and special, too." ~ Anna Quindlen

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" ~Mary Anne Radmacher

Monday, September 12, 2011

Vegetable Garden

In June, Heather and Ian planted a vegetable garden in our backyard. Being that this is my first experience with a veggie garden, I didn't know what to expect. But I certainly thought it would take a long time for us to start being able to eat out of the garden (given that we're still waiting for our first full crop of avocados since we trimmed the tree OVER A YEAR AGO when we bought the house). Anyway, back to a more productive topic (yes, pun intended!).

After it was planted, it did seem to take a few weeks for something to show, but now, WOW! Things are growing like crazy and I love it. Every few days I can't wait to head out to the garden to see what else has happened. I'm amazed at the process - a zucchini will be the size of a chapstick on Tuesday and then on Friday, it will be as big as a ruler. Incredible!

So, here are a few photos to show you how well everything is doing. Here are some yellow squash.
And the cherry tomatoes are so cute, and so delicious!

Can you see the bell pepper growing in the left hand side there? Beautiful!


Here are the squash and zucchini lined up on our counter, so you can see how nice and big they are. So far, I've made four loaves of zucchini bread and we've eaten squash for dinner several nights. If you've got a great recipe for squash or zucchini, let me know! Or if you would like some, we're more than happy to share. We're about to have five or six more of each to eat!


And here are the cherry tomatoes. Aren't they cute? I used these in a chicken salad last week and they were so yummy.



I've never considered myself a garden person, and the truth is, Ian does all the watering and weeding, but I do love to go out there and pick the ripe veggies!

No comments:

Post a Comment