A Few Good Quotes

"There is something so settled and stodgy about turning a great romance into next of kin on an emergency room form, and something so soothing and special, too." ~ Anna Quindlen

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" ~Mary Anne Radmacher

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Once a Texan, Always a Texan

When I first moved to California, I had a bumper sticker on the back of my car that said: "There are two kinds of people - those who are Texans and those who wish they were."

At that time, I thought that was (a) funny and (b) true, because I figured I would go back to Texas at some point in my life.

Now, having lived in the wonderful Southern California for almost 15 years, I AM STAYING. I love it here and now consider myself a California Girl (cue Beach Boys).

Still, as the title of this post suggests, something in my heart must still be Texan because we are going there this weekend and I am UNDULY EXCITED.*















I feel like I am going home somehow. We're going for a family wedding, of sorts. David's wife Gina has three siblings, all of which we know and really enjoy. Her youngest sister is getting married this weekend in Fredericksburg (about an hour outside of Austin) and they were gracious to extend the invitation to us. We've hung out with Martina lots of times and this past December, we were happy to meet her soon-to-be-husband, Brent. So we're super excited about the wedding.

But I'm also giddy with the idea of Texas - our old church, my high school, Blue Bell ice cream, warmer nights, the house we lived in in Austin, the green belt there, accents, hats, boots, the whole shebang. I can't wait to take Ian to my birth state and have him experience that part of my past.

See, the thing is, I've still lived longer in Texas than in California. With how settled I am here, and how many life stages I've already gone through here, it's crazy to me that that's true. But I lived there almost 17 years. And as the years creep by here, very soon that will change. But for now, I guess what I'm saying is, once a Texan, always a Texan. So watch out, y'all, because here we come!

*Ian makes fun of me for my frequent use of the word unduly. But sometimes it's just so fitting. "Are you tired?" "No, not unduly." "Are you hungry?" "Yes, but not unduly." "Are you mad?" "Not unduly so, no." See? It's a great word.

No comments:

Post a Comment