A Few Good Quotes

"There is something so settled and stodgy about turning a great romance into next of kin on an emergency room form, and something so soothing and special, too." ~ Anna Quindlen

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" ~Mary Anne Radmacher

Thursday, March 3, 2011

On Being Brave

Praying is not the easiest activity for me. I love Bible study and Bible reading, memorization, I don't mind (occasional) fasting and other such disciplines, but I have always struggled with prayer. I often wonder, "Am I doing this right? Is this how other people pray? Is this what it should feel like? Should I see more results from this? Should I pray more? How much prayer is enough?" and so on.

In the past year, as circumstances in my life have changed (or not changed, as the case may be), I have grabbed onto a new, very simple prayer: Lord, help me be brave. For whatever you are asking me to do, help me be brave. I have been praying this pretty much every day for the last year.

I'll confess, most of the time I have not felt brave. Even minutes after praying that simple prayer, I have felt fearful or anxious or insecure. Then I think, "Is this prayer even working? Is God even hearing me?" But then I wonder what a basket case I would be if I wasn't praying that at all. So, I take what courage I do have and more forward.

Anyway, today I am not feeling very brave. But I was reading in one of the blogs I follow and I saw this quote that she posted:

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" ~Mary Anne Radmacher

So, I will try again tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. I noticed that your home page (or whatever it is called on a blog) had changed; the new quote hit home and reminded me of "his mercies are new every morning." I am so grateful for those mercies, as they are frequently the only way I manage to get through the day. And they are often the only way that I can contemplate doing it all again tomorrow. It's interesting (and kind of nice) to name that determination "being brave."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, very similiar. It also reminded me (and you'll appreciate this) of Anne of Green Gables, how tomorrow is a new day, with no mistakes in it.

    ReplyDelete