A Few Good Quotes

"There is something so settled and stodgy about turning a great romance into next of kin on an emergency room form, and something so soothing and special, too." ~ Anna Quindlen

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" ~Mary Anne Radmacher

Monday, March 7, 2011

Getting Ready for Spring!

We had amazing weather here in So Cal on Saturday. A lovely 75. So we did what any good new home owners would do - we worked on our yard. We are quickly learning that there is so much to do! We could be out there every weekend for several hours (which we're not) and just maintain it! Truthfully, we were actually both excited to have some time in the garden. Ian, because he likes working in the garden, and me, because I like being outside. So, I spent about two and half hours on Saturday weeding and...well, pretty much just weeding. Ian mowed and edged and watered...but I think my task was very rewarding. Press on for before and after photos!

Here is Ian, cleaning out the big roots from a bed that I had just weeded. This bed is going to be our citrus tree grove. Doesn't that sound grand? I'm hoping for a lemon, lime and orange tree, but we'll see how many can fit. And doesn't he look so rugged and handsome with that pick ax and his sun hat? I love that man.





















He got them!




















With that bed in pretty good shape, I went on to tackle what will some day be the vegetable garden. Here is how it looked when I started.
















And here is how it looked after!















Not perfect, but good enough! (By the way, that's my life motto, if you didn't know that already.) I can't wait to start growing our own beans, squash, tomatoes and who knows what else! Ian is planning on planting this and the citrus grove over his Spring Break, which is already coming up next month. I'll be sure to post back later when little green shoots begin to show!

In the mean time, Happy Spring to everyone!

2 comments: