A Few Good Quotes

"There is something so settled and stodgy about turning a great romance into next of kin on an emergency room form, and something so soothing and special, too." ~ Anna Quindlen

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" ~Mary Anne Radmacher

Saturday, January 11, 2014

A Disneyland Family

I know some of our friends don't understand our love of Disneyland. I'm pretty sure some have even made fun of us. But we don't care. We see the magic. We feel the wonder. And I love that we're a Disneyland family.

We just recently renewed our passes, so my mind is filled afresh with our love of Disneyland. That, and I went there three times this week. =) It was the first week we could go after being blocked out for Christmas so Ian and I planned a trip for Thursday after work, inviting our friends Amy and Hans (and their son Klaus) to go with us. But before that, Mary emailed and asked if me and Mom wanted to go on Wednesday. Naturally, we did. My dad is on break from seminary still so he joined us and we all had such a good time. As always, we stayed a little too long and both kids feel asleep in the car. Usually, on the way home from the Magic Kingdom, I give Ruthie a map for her to look at. It keeps her alert and entertained until we can get home for naps. But this time she feel asleep looking at the map, with both hands holding either side of the map. I couldn't take a picture until we got home and she had woken up but it was so cute. How could I not love Disneyland, when my little girl is so enamored with it? She asks everyday to wear her Minnie Mouse shirt. Good thing we have two of those and one Cinderella shirt to help us get through to laundry day!

Having gone on Wednesday did not diminish our excitement to go with Ian on Thursday, so we cheerfully loaded up after he got home from work and met our friends there for a very fun night-time visit. This brings me to the third visit - Ian lost his phone while we were there that night. We discovered this in the parking lot, way too late to go back. He was pretty sure it had slipped out of his pocket while riding Small World. Our suspicions were confirmed when we got a call from the workers at Small World later that night saying it was there. We told them we were already gone and to please take it to Lost and Found.

So the next morning, I prepared to go to Lost and Found and pick it up. This was not our first time to visit the Lost and Found and in the past it's been a long line and sort of an ordeal, so I wanted to make it as fun as possible. I invited my parents to come walk around Downtown Disney with me, if they felt like having an outing. They did, and they decided to renew their passes at the same time. They actually beat me there and even picked up Ian's phone for me, and since we were there and it was a beautiful day we decided to go on in the park. We went on the carousel and then to the Jolly Holiday for lunch. Oh, and my dad bought Ruthie a churro. She first walked up to me and said, "I want a churro (which kind of sounds like Cheerio)." I told her no, we are about to have lunch. And Dad told her, "You're asking the wrong person." So she walked over to Grandpa and asked him and they walked hand in hand to the closet churro cart. It was super cute and a lovely visit.

I understand that Disneyland isn't for everyone - people are different and I get that. But I am thankful my immediate and extended family loves it, because we're building some really happy memories around it. And my kids are learning to be patient and wait in lines. Not to mention they get great exercise as they run around the whole park (well, Ruthie runs around. Jonah swivels his head from side to side in the baby carrier, trying to see as much as he can). I love watching them experience new things and learn to be brave, as they try out rides and explore lands.

So thank you, Walt Disney, for dreaming big and bringing that dream to life. And thank you, Mom and Dad, whose Christmas checks each year allow us to buy passes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment