A Few Good Quotes

"There is something so settled and stodgy about turning a great romance into next of kin on an emergency room form, and something so soothing and special, too." ~ Anna Quindlen

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" ~Mary Anne Radmacher

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Family Trip to Balboa

We recently took a little family day trip to Balboa. We had the day set aside to help Mary and Mike move (see post below) but when they didn't close, we found ourselves with a whole day with nothing to do. LOVELY! And since I love to have adventures, I quickly thought a quick trip to Balboa would be just the thing.

I have many fond memories of that place as a child; when we would come to CA from TX to stay at our place in Huntington, we would always go to Balboa  We would usually go to the Ruby's there, my mom's favorite, and then we would ride the ferry and play around at the "Fun Zone." The "Fun Zone" has changed quite a bit since I was a kid (gone, sadly, is the Very Scary Ride roller coaster that we used to ride for a quarter) but it is still fun. Ruthie enjoyed watching all the other kids play in the arcade and on this super jumper attraction thing they had.

The last time Ian and I were in Balboa, I was about 8 1/2 months pregnant. We had a great time then, going to a nice dinner and having our last hoorah (of which we had about seven), but it was also very fun to take Ruthie and let her explore the little island.

Here she is, taking in the sights with Daddy.
We let her get down on the boardwalk and do some of her own walking and man alive, did people eat her up. They loved seeing this little tiny person walking down the boardwalk on her own. She did look very cute, I have to admit. (She doesn't normally let me hold her hand, but she allowed it temporarily for the photo.)
And here we are on the ferry. She really wanted me to let her go so she could see the water better, but I decided it was best if I kept two hands on her. =)
We had a lovely day and are looking forward to our family get away this weekend to Huntington (for more of our anniversary celebration) and Ruthie's first over night to Grandma and Grandpa's!!

No comments:

Post a Comment