A Few Good Quotes

"There is something so settled and stodgy about turning a great romance into next of kin on an emergency room form, and something so soothing and special, too." ~ Anna Quindlen

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" ~Mary Anne Radmacher

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Mexican Family Vacation

A few weeks ago, we took our annual Sunukjian Family Vacation in Mexico. It was awesome. We had such a good time. Going into it, we were a tad worried, because we'd never vacationed with Ruthie that long. But she did great and she made everything more fun, just as she does at home. She slept great, ate great, had so much fun with her cousins and generally made it so we had a great time, too.

The week was pretty laid back, just as any good vacation should be. We went to the pool each day, ate lots of good food, played games, read, had our annual poker night, and lots of other fun things.

Here is Ruthie, enjoying the pool. She didn't fuss at all but let several of her aunts and uncles "swim" around with her. She really loved it!
Here we are at the beach - we only went to the beach one time, since it's a bit more of a production, but I was surprised how much Ruthie enjoyed it. She crawled all around on the sand and watched her cousins building moats. What's not to love?
As I do each year, I hosted a little Girls' Spa Afternoon at our villa. I did foot treatments and then the cousins helped each other paint toes. It was too cute - my oldest niece Sophie (12) did such a good job painting Abbie's (2) toes and she sat so still so Sophie could do it.
Hannah has missed it the past few years due to naps, but this year, she happily joined in the fun. Here she is, relaxing with some cucumbers while her toenails dry.

We also took our annual family photo, which I don't have a copy of yet (Sheila always sends those out to everyone later). But she did already send out a photo of the grandparents with the 14 kids. Pretty stinkin' cute, huh?
Before that nice and calm picture, we attempted to get a picture of just the 14 kids, lined up in age order in matching black t-shirts. I think we did finally accomplish it, but it was pretty chaotic and hysterical there for a few minutes. When Sheila sends those final copies out, I will for sure be posting it here.


This trip taught me something new about Ian - he is a SUCKER for little girl dresses. I guess I should have known, but I was surprised nonetheless. He was convinced that Ruthie needed a beach cover up. I'll admit, it is cute, but seriously, does a 7 month old need this? 


The only draw back to our trip was that we got lost trying to get to the border on the way home and then when we did get to it and through the line, we got pulled into secondary inspection because of some eggs that we were trying to bring back. Note to self - never, ever, ever bring any food of any kind; it's not worth secondary inspection. But the up side of that is that there are no car seat rules in Mexico, so after I nursed Ruthie in the line, we just let her play on the floor by my feet. She was thrilled!
Of course, more happened than I have pictures here to share - the McCurrys rocked the Talent Show with our air guitar routine to Bad to the Bone (complete with matching outfits and sunglasses) and Ian's team won the Family Olympics. Somehow I don't have any pictures of those events. We also had a family share night with the adults, while the kids watched a movie, and of course, lots of meals together. But you get the idea.

It was a wonderful week. I love spending time with family and I love the relaxing atmosphere of Mexico. Thanks, Mom and Dad. As always, your generosity makes this week (and all the memories!) possible. We appreciate you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment