A Few Good Quotes

"There is something so settled and stodgy about turning a great romance into next of kin on an emergency room form, and something so soothing and special, too." ~ Anna Quindlen

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" ~Mary Anne Radmacher

Friday, July 27, 2012

Unloading the Dishwasher

That title just draws you right in, doesn't it? This might the most unprofound blog post of them yet, but still, I'm here writing it (and presumably, you're here reading it.). Anyway, onto the revelation.

The dishes are historically Ian's chore. I never do them after dinner and even rarely do them during the day. But since he's working this week (a very noble and brave thing for a teacher to do during summer), I felt it was the least I could do to do my own dishes. I know, I'm so giving. But, giving that I am, I decided to go above and beyond and even UNLOAD and RELOAD the dishwasher from yesterday's dishes. When I began, I had the sense it was a big chore and that I was very selfless. But you know what? It took me about 6 1/2 minutes to do all the dishes. And you know how I know that? Because I was able to do the dishes in the time it takes me to sanitize my pump - three minutes in the special bag in the microwave for each side of my pump. Two sides = 6 minutes, plus a tiny bit extra. I was actually shocked at how little my *huge* sacrifice had cost me.

True, there weren't very many dishes since I worked last night (hence the pump parts that needed to be cleaned) and Ian was left to fend for himself with a frozen pizza. But still, 6 minutes? That's hardly worth feeling a martyr about.

No comments:

Post a Comment