A Few Good Quotes

"There is something so settled and stodgy about turning a great romance into next of kin on an emergency room form, and something so soothing and special, too." ~ Anna Quindlen

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" ~Mary Anne Radmacher

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Garden Delights!

Garden, oh Garden, let me count the ways that I love thee!

Truly, I am CRAZY about our garden. As I've mentioned before, I get all the benefit with none of the work - Ian plants it and weeds it, and when he's home for the summer, he even waters it. Occasionally I go out there and pick a few things, but usually I just holler to Ian while he's out there watering to "bring me a tomato; oh and I also need some thyme!" It's truly lovely.

Just recently, I tried my hand at making my own tomato sauce. You know, the stuff they sell for like $.49 that is basically just pureed tomato? I needed it for a recipe and we didn't have any of the can stuff, so I gave  it a whirl. Here are my tomatoes:
Here is me trying to get it the same consistency as the can stuff - not easy. Maybe I should have peeled the tomatoes?
Here is the end result. It tasted delicious but it is clearly not the same color as the canned stuff. I added it to the Sloppy Joe's I was making and they tasted the same as when I used store bought, so that's good. But I did have to add more spices than usual; I think my homemade stuff was more watery.
On the whole, I would say it's probably not worth saving the $.49 but works in a pinch.

I know I'm sort of obsessed with how food looks, but seriously, look at this photo. Is that not beautiful?
Here is another garden delight - lunch made up of tomatoes from the garden, basil from the garden and mozzarella balls (that I got for free from the rental unit I manage - don't worry, they weren't opened yet). Yummy!
I know people have been growing and eating their own food for years, nee centuries, but still, I LOVE picking something from the ground and eating it moments later. Truly delicious.

Today, I am experimenting with how to use up yellow squash. I found a recipe for summer squash bread which, according to its reviews, is amazing. I thought I would make it into muffins, since I just made some zucchini bread a few days ago. As you can tell, our garden is going crazy!

3 comments:

  1. I was doing the same thing with my tomatoes yesterday, only I was making tomato and corn soup. Super easy and quite yummy. But on the subject of summer squash here's one we use often during the summer. It's like and tasty. We've also tossed in grilled chicken to give it a little staying power. http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/summer-squash-ribbons-with-oregano-basil-lemon-10000001816364/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks,Jennifer! I love the recommendations. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete