A Few Good Quotes

"There is something so settled and stodgy about turning a great romance into next of kin on an emergency room form, and something so soothing and special, too." ~ Anna Quindlen

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" ~Mary Anne Radmacher

Monday, February 27, 2012

Celebrity Musings

Yesterday, I had two opportunities to think about celebrities and it really made me ponder a few things.

First, we saw Adam Sandler at Disneyland. Ian, Ruthie and I were standing in line for the carousel and he and his family walked right behind it, toward Tangled (hopefully they did not get sucked into that attraction - 45 minutes for a photo shoot? Craziness!). I was facing toward them, so I noticed them before Ian. Muttering under my breath, "Be cool, be cool" I said to Ian, "Look, Adam Sandler! Right there, in the blue baseball cap!"

We spent the next few minutes pondering Adam Sandler's visit to Disneyland. Did they wait in lines? Did people mob them? If they went on Storybook Land, did they get a boat to themselves? They appeared to be walking with a Disneyland cast member - were they getting a private tour? Did they have to pay for that?

Now I know deep in my rationale that he is a person, just like me. But then, they're not like us, you know? True, his kids probably begged him to go to Disneyland, just like other kids, but maybe they drove there in a limo, or had special parking, or got stopped for an autograph. And probably they didn't pack their lunch, let alone in a Tupperware because they are saving plastic bags. People, yes. Just like me? No.

Of course, I asked Ian if they had been in line right behind us (assuming they actually had to wait in lines, which I sort of doubt), would he say anything to him. You know, like, "Hey man, I think you're funny." If you know Ian, I'm sure you can guess that he would not. And I wouldn't either - I'm too proud to let them think I think they are interesting (which clearly I do, otherwise why would I be blogging about them now).

But since yesterday was the Academy Awards (and he clearly wasn't at it), something in my devious heart wanted to go up to him and say, "So, Jack and Jane didn't get that nomination after all, huh?"

Speaking of Academy Awards, Ian and I watched them last night after we got home. Of the 9 movies nominated for best picture, I've seen zero. Yep, zero out of nine. But for some reason, we both like watching the awards. And having seen a movie star earlier in the day, it set me to musing again, watching them and wondering about their lives. Do they like to be famous? Do they wish they had chosen a different career? Are any of them actually good actors or are they just attractive people who stumbled upon a good script? (BTW - Adam was actually part of a small video that aired during the awards - wonder why he wasn't at the actual show? I guess Small World just drew him in...). I thought Billy Crystal did a good job, and actually poked some good fun at the millionaires celebrating each other while the rest of us are still living in an slow economy.

Anyway, I wish it weren't true, but I'm fascinated by celebrities.

Of course, it wouldn't be a fun evening if we didn't have delicious snacks to go with our Oscar watching. Here is what we ate: I call it "Heart attack on a plate." Yes, rhyme intended.
The onion rings I made myself - thanks Sarah for passing along the recipe. They came out DELICIOUS. The rest are little appetizers I bought at Fresh & Easy.

(To be clear, those are fried mozzarella sticks, lest anyone think it's sausage, which is sort of what it looks like in this photo.)

What a lovely weekend! Don't you wish everyday was the weekend? Ruthie and I are missing Ian this Monday morning, but Target and the grocery store beckon, so I best be off.

1 comment:

  1. E. and I talked about this last night. But part of the Academy Awards felt like Movie Worship. Some of these people eat, dream, sleep, drink, and breathe movies. Movies are their friends, their families, theirs lives, their gods. I wonder if its worth it. Of course it's no different than people who throw themselves into their regular jobs, but for some reason it made me sad, and I felt lonely and, yes, sorry, for some of these millionaires.

    ReplyDelete