A Few Good Quotes

"There is something so settled and stodgy about turning a great romance into next of kin on an emergency room form, and something so soothing and special, too." ~ Anna Quindlen

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" ~Mary Anne Radmacher

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Dinner at the McCurry's

If you know me at all, you know that I'm obsessed with Cooking Light. I pour over the magazine every month, reading all the articles and all the recipes. I tear out the recipes I want, cut them down to size, paste them onto pieces of paper, laminate them, 3-hole punch them and then put them in my huge binder. It's truly one of my favorite hobbies. (Not to mention that I actually do cook with all those recipes - each Saturday, I flip through my binder, planning my menu and deciding what we'll eat all week. I do this so I can make my grocery list.)

Anyway, one of the articles I read recently said that all dinner plates should be 1/4 lean protein, 1/4 starch and 1/2 vegetables. I've been inspired since then to strive for those ratios. I've accomplished it on several occasions, and Ian, who could make a whole dinner with a plate full of chips, doesn't even complain! (Not that I blame him - chips can be very delicious.)

Last week, I made salmon, pilaf, green beans and broccoli, and as you can see, the portions were Cooking Light approved.

Isn't food so pretty sometimes? Ah, I love cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment