A Few Good Quotes

"There is something so settled and stodgy about turning a great romance into next of kin on an emergency room form, and something so soothing and special, too." ~ Anna Quindlen

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" ~Mary Anne Radmacher

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

My First Prom

This past Saturday, I went to the prom. And yes, it was my first prom. 13 years ago, when it was my senior prom, my sister got married, so that sort of took priority. =) On Saturday, Ian's school had their prom and since it's pretty much required for all teachers to go, I happily went as his date. And while I just admitted that I don't have a comparison, I have to believe that going to the prom with your husband has to be better than going with a pimple-faced, nervous, immature high school boy.

The prom was at the Reef, a restaurant in Downtown Long Beach, on the south waterfront side. Mary actually had her wedding reception there. We had dinner and then dancing and while Ian and I tried to dance a bit, let me just tell you that not only did I feel VERY 31, I also felt VERY white. His students are predominantly African America and man, can they dance! I mostly just shuffled and watched them bust a move. =) It was like my own, up close and personal So You Think You Can Dance episode.

We left before Prom Queen and King were crowned, but all in all it was a fun night and I think his students enjoyed themselves.

For next year's prom, I have already decided to buy a new dress! The one-shoulder look was very in with the teenage girls this year...

5 comments:

  1. 1) If I had known what kind of deprivation I would subject you to, I would have cheerfully rearranged one of the most significant days of my life to allow you to go to your prom. I can't think how I was so insensitive. Please, please forgive me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2) You would look totally cute in a one-shoulder dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3) Ummmm....despite the awesome (!) dancing at last year's Arrowhead vacation, ummm... you ARE white. And Ian is even whiter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah - Frankly, I felt spared from going to the Prom with the only date my friends could scrounge up, a TOTALLY awkward Asian geek from my honors track. So you did me a favor.

    Amy - we failed! We've reverted back to our old ways of never taking our camera and I have no pictures. Just as well - then you can't see that Ian didn't even get me a corsage. (Though, I didn't get him a boutonniere either, so I guess we're even.)

    ReplyDelete