A Few Good Quotes

"There is something so settled and stodgy about turning a great romance into next of kin on an emergency room form, and something so soothing and special, too." ~ Anna Quindlen

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" ~Mary Anne Radmacher

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

New Year's Eve Musings

Sorry, no, this isn't going to be about my New Year's resolutions. Rather, I wanted to reflect on the holiday of New Year's Eve itself. I had to work it this year, same as last year, because we had a large event Downtown. It went well and we had a way bigger turn out than we thought, but at the end of the night (or rather, sort of towards the middle of the morning), I began to look around at the people staggering down the street, or being helped into taxis, or throwing up in the alley and thought - "What is the point of this holiday? When did these people go from having lots of fun to having no fun at all?"

So, what is the point of New Year's Eve? Do we celebrate it because we're actually hopeful 2011 will be better than 2010? That it will it be different? Do most people use New Year's to orient their year or their birthday, I wonder? And by celebrating the start of a new year, what are we declaring? And does celebrating it do anything for the year, such as make you more likely to stick with your resolutions or your hope that it will be better/easier than the year before?

I can't answer those questions for the rest of the world, but I think instead of focusing so much on hoping 2011 will be better, I've been reminded recently to be thankful for 2010 and all the blessing and goodness of the Lord we experienced in it.

So maybe I could think of New Year's as a celebration of God's provision in the year that was just completed.

Anyone else have some thoughts they want to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment