A Few Good Quotes

"There is something so settled and stodgy about turning a great romance into next of kin on an emergency room form, and something so soothing and special, too." ~ Anna Quindlen

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" ~Mary Anne Radmacher

Monday, November 29, 2010

Advent Focus: Rest

Our church observes Advent on the four Sundays preceding Christmas. I love it. I love the candles, the readings, the meditation time, the songs and so on. Each year, our leadership picks a theme for our advent reflection and this year, the theme is rest.

Very good theme for this time of year, don't you think? It's the Monday after Thanksgiving and I'm already exhausted! True, I have a cold, so that prevented me from sleeping well last night, but how could I be exhausted after three days at my parents house during which I did NOTHING but eat, rest, play games, cuddle babies (I blame them for the cold), talk with my family, you get the picture.

But we've also had house guests that last two weekends and will again this weekend, and while that's all lovely and I truly enjoy sharing our home, it does impact my alone time. Now, as I wait for the minutes to tick away so I can go home, get into cozy clothes and eat my homemade chicken noodle soup for dinner, I feel aware that this lack of alone time has affected me more than I thought.

How does one get alone time during the holidays? Don't the holidays mean exactly the opposite of alone time? And don't I want that? I love time with family. But with my birthday, Christmas, New Year's and our anniversary all in the next 5 weeks, I'm going to have to pace myself.

Rest. Yes, this is a great advent theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment