A Few Good Quotes

"There is something so settled and stodgy about turning a great romance into next of kin on an emergency room form, and something so soothing and special, too." ~ Anna Quindlen

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" ~Mary Anne Radmacher

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Discount Deals

My friend Melanie in DC first introduced me to Groupon. It's a great, simple, noninvasive way to learn about deals. Every day, just once, they email you a special. If enough people in your area agree to buy the coupon (thus the Groupon name), the deal goes through. I've been a member (which is free) about two months. So I've seen about 60 deals. I've only bought two, so it's not like everything is amazing, but I did get $50 at the Gap for $25 (which is how I stayed on budget for Ian's b-day gifts) and $40 at the Auld Dubliner for $20 (I just took Ian there for a fun date this week). It's a fun way to try new things and save money!

The other thing I like is restaurant.com. They sell gift certificates for restaurants at a discount. You can buy low amounts, like $10 for just $4 or you buy much higher amounts, like $100 for $40. And they're good restaurants too, like Claire's at the Museum, Cafe Sevilla and others. Try putting in your own zip code and see what comes up in your area!

I wouldn't normally think of myself as a bargain shopper, but as we hope to some day go down to one salary, I think I'm going to need to be creative in our spending, especially if we want to do extra, fun things.

Anyone out there have their own ways of saving? Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment