A Few Good Quotes

"There is something so settled and stodgy about turning a great romance into next of kin on an emergency room form, and something so soothing and special, too." ~ Anna Quindlen

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" ~Mary Anne Radmacher

Thursday, August 5, 2010

An Interesting Tension

I find myself in an interesting conundrum these days. There are two situations in my life that have recently occupied my thoughts and have caused me to ponder my own power. One is a decision that I have all the freedom and power to make - but I feel torn by the pros and cons of each side and seem unable to make a decision. And so I'm frustrated by my inertia.

The other is a decision that is not in my hands at all, a choice I can't make for myself, and so I am frustrated by my lack of control and the forced patience I'm required to exercise.

As I think about these two situations, I find it interesting that with the one, I have all the power but can't make up my mind. With the other, I have none of the power and yet know so completely how I would like the situation to go.

Is that irony? Or a classic case of juxtaposition? Or just life?

2 comments:

  1. Sister - I'm proud to say that I've just become your first official follower! I think the phenomenon you are searching for in describing your current connundrum is called the human condition. We want to control that which we cannot control and when the freedom is given to us we are lost. Not to worry, you are in good company with 5 or 6 billion fellow humans in the same situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you friend! There is comfort in knowing that other people can relate and share in my condition!

    ReplyDelete