A Few Good Quotes

"There is something so settled and stodgy about turning a great romance into next of kin on an emergency room form, and something so soothing and special, too." ~ Anna Quindlen

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" ~Mary Anne Radmacher

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Date Nights for Childless Couples?

Ian is taking me on a date tonight. We are going to Kamal Palace (super yummy Indian food) then we are walking over to the Pier 1, which is a very special treat for me. That place is my Mecca. We are in need of some new wine glasses, so hopefully being specific will keep me from going crazy.

Anyway, back to the purpose of the post. Last time we went on a date, I mentioned it in passing to a co-worker. That person said to me, "You guys don't have any kids...why do you need a date?" Of course, I declared that we do need dates, but now that our next one is rolling around, I found myself thinking more about her comment.

And I'm more convinced than ever that even childless couples need dates. I know, I know, I don't really know how much parents must need them, but isn't it good to build into your marriage and set aside time to celebrate each other even when there are no kids? In fact, won't our dates now someday make our parenting easier, as we discuss ideas and theories over dinner that we hope (if the children don't thwart us too much) to implement when we someday do have kids? Yes. I'm convinced of it. And I won't let parents talk me out of it!

Also, how can you not go out and celebrate when the United States government gives you $8,077.44 just for buying a house before July 31st? Isn't that amazing? I somehow doubted that it was really true, but the check I deposited today does not lie. Thanks Uncle Sam!

No comments:

Post a Comment