A Few Good Quotes

"There is something so settled and stodgy about turning a great romance into next of kin on an emergency room form, and something so soothing and special, too." ~ Anna Quindlen

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" ~Mary Anne Radmacher

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I Can See Why My Dad Chose the Dishes

Not too long ago, my mom told me a story from my childhood. A harrowing story, really, as you'll see soon.

She said that when I was born, she told my dad, "Now that there are five, I'm going to need your help. You can either do bath time, help with bedtime or do the dishes." That means, that for all the years previously, she was cooking the dinner, cleaning it up, doing bath time for four kids and putting four kids to bed. Now, I love my dad and he is a great father, but seriously, men back then just did not pull the weight fathers today do! I cannot believe my mother did all of that!

Anyway, back to the story. So what did he choose?

The dishes.

I'll admit, when I first heard that, I was a little put out, thinking, "Why didn't he choose to spend time with us?"

Then yesterday, Ruthie basically screamed from 5:30 until 6:30, when Ian got home. And that was WITH the pacifier AND me holding her. So after dinner, even though I had cooked it and usually Ian does the clean up, I happily did the dishes while he carried her around and tried to sooth her for another hour or so.

Here she is, after I've feed her. Mind you, by this point she's been up for about 4 hours without a nap, which for a newborn, is a very long time!
Now this doesn't look like the face of a girl who is just about to fall asleep, does it? Nope. It looks like the face of a girl saying, "Suckers!" to her parents.
Ah, well, what can you do? Thank goodness I have Ian to help me. Because truth be told, some days, you're happy to do the dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment