A Few Good Quotes

"There is something so settled and stodgy about turning a great romance into next of kin on an emergency room form, and something so soothing and special, too." ~ Anna Quindlen

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" ~Mary Anne Radmacher

Friday, October 5, 2012

Some Cooking Updates

We recently had our friend over who is a vegan (hi, Erin!). I love having Erin over, because, well, we like her, and it's always a fun challenge to make a full vegan meal. Last time she was over, I did more of an Italian theme. This time, Asian food just sounded so delicious.

So, I made some vegan egg rolls, Here is the mixture, just before placing it in the won-ton wrappers. It has mushrooms, carrots, cabbage, onions and lots of yummy sauces/oils.


Here is one as I'm about to fold it up.
And here they are, just going into the oven. Somehow, I didn't take a picture of the finished product, but they tasted super yummy. I made a homemade plum sauce to go with them - does anyone know what's in plum sauce? Vinegar, peppercorns (which are later strained out), sugar and ketchup. Crazy. But it was also yummy.
Of course, we had a main dish (peanut tofu stir fry with steamed bok choy and sticky rice), but I don't have any photos of that. For dessert, strawberry shortcakes with cool whip. Two thumbs up!

Something I've gotten into recently is a Mexican Scramble for breakfast. Whenever we have black beans that need to be used up, putting them in the eggs in the morning is one of my favorite ways. On this particular Saturday morning, we also had two jalapenos from our garden and some green onions to throw in there, with cheese. SUPER delicious. I love those little corn tortillas with eggs!

I've also seen on several cooking blogs this new idea of putting a raw egg on pizza and then baking it. I found a recipe on a frugal cooking blog I just started reading, so I thought I would give it a try.

It's wheat dough, mozzarella cheese, bacon and eggs - the recipe called for 5 eggs, which I didn't have, but also sounded like a lot. Next time, I think I'll make it with 3.

Here is the finished product, with green beans (duh). When the pizza comes out, you sprinkle green onions and parsley on top. The egg was pretty running but actually very tasty. I would definitely make it again!
Happy cooking to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment