A Few Good Quotes

"There is something so settled and stodgy about turning a great romance into next of kin on an emergency room form, and something so soothing and special, too." ~ Anna Quindlen

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" ~Mary Anne Radmacher

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year!

I've always felt that New Year's Eve is a strange holiday. I'm pretty sure I blogged about it last year, reflecting on how, unfortunately, sometimes New Year's Eve brings out the worst in humanity. Last year, I cleaned up vomit off our copier at work, sprayed there by a band member who had clearly had way more than he could handle. Happy New Year to me.

This year, in pretty much the most opposite way possible, Ian and I celebrated New Year's Eve in the quietness of our house. We actually didn't even make it to midnight. We ate snacks, watched the Bourne movie that was on TV, and at 11, crawled into bed, exhausted and sure that Ruthie would be waking us up in an hour for her next feeding. And still, it was wonderful. But what made it wonderful was its ordinariness. Do you know what I mean? Aside from gorging ourselves on snacks (we try to limit that at least a little), it wasn't that much unlike most of our other evenings. Since I've had to work the previous two years on this night, I wasn't sure what this year would look like. Through into that mix a 12 day old baby and we really didn't know what to expect. Turns out, it wasn't much different from the 30th. But the ordinariness of it was what made it great.

I hope you all also had a good New Year's. And now we're in 2012 - a whole new year to discover what is next. I am very excited. I think 2012 is going to be great.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment