A Few Good Quotes

"There is something so settled and stodgy about turning a great romance into next of kin on an emergency room form, and something so soothing and special, too." ~ Anna Quindlen

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" ~Mary Anne Radmacher

Monday, October 31, 2011

Homemade Applesauce

If you follow this blog, then you know we went apple picking a few weekends ago. Most of the apples we just ate plain but toward the end of the bag, some were about to go bad. So I decided to make applesauce. I had made it before, but never from apples we picked ourselves!

I also had a plum that was on its way out so I decided to throw that in. Usually, adding things or changing the recipe comes out okay, but I was a little worried from the chocolate pudding debacle of 2011. Still, I figured apples and plums should be good together.
After peeling and chopping everything, I put it all in the pot with a cinnamon stick, sugar, lemon juice (actually, I used lime juice from our new little lime tree because I didn't have lemon - gosh, I never really realized how much I alter recipes but apparently I do it all the time!) and water.

All you do is bring it to a boil, simmer it for 25 minutes, mash it up and put it in a jar. Easy, peasy. And I am happy to report that it turned out delicious!

With the weather supposedly cooling this week, we actually had our chimney inspected recently (our first time since buying the house) and while we do need some tiny repairs, it should be in working order soon. I can't wait to have fires in our living room!

No comments:

Post a Comment