A Few Good Quotes

"There is something so settled and stodgy about turning a great romance into next of kin on an emergency room form, and something so soothing and special, too." ~ Anna Quindlen

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" ~Mary Anne Radmacher

Monday, December 20, 2010

Musings on the Rain

I'm sure it comes to no surprise to anyone that I prefer the sun. Just this morning I was struck nearly speechless by the whiteness of my legs. Yikes! Thank goodness I have on tights today with my skirt! Even given my love for the sun, though, I do still like rainy days. Yesterday, it rained all day (the third day in a row of that), and after we got home from church, we never went out again. I baked a cake, Ian did some writing, we both read, we watched Little Women (I consider this a Christmas movie, so I subjected Ian to it), we sipped coffee - it was LOVELY. I really enjoyed sitting in our family room with the Christmas tree all lit up, watching the rain trickle down our windows and listening to it on the roof. There are many nice things about the rain.

What is not nice are leaks. We currently have two. One is coming from a vent in the family room, the roof of which we JUST PAID $1,500 TO HAVE FIXED. They must have not sealed the vent properly. The location of the previous leak is fine, so apparently they did okay with that. I guess the vent just slipped off their radar.

The second leak is also in the family room - which does make our leak maintenance a little easier. We only have to man one room, though sometimes we do have to double team it. But seriously, I feel like we are baby sitting our family room. The second leak is coming from a ledge under a window that is partially outside our house and partially inside. I have NO IDEA what the original design was for, but it almost looks like a pass through bar from the family room to the patio (though why you would want that, I don't know). Problem is, when it rains, water gathers on the ledge on the outside portion. Then as it builds up, it begins to seep in between the ledge and the window sill so it comes through into the inside portion of the ledge. That probably doesn't make any sense, but the crux of the matter is that we have to consistently rotate towels to soak up the water. If we don't, it eventually spills down from the ledge/bar onto the carpet, which is obviously not good. Yesterday we went through three or four sets of towels - we even had to do TWO LOADS of towels (just the dryer part, so that helped) because we ran out. I had to go home on my lunch today to check the leak and switch out the towels, even though I had switched them out right before I left for work. It was all we could do not to get up in the middle of the night and make sure the towels were holding.

In truth, it's been more funny that frustrating - I guess we're still in the honeymoon stage with our house, where it can do no wrong. So we haven't been too bothered, in spite of my seemingly negative paragraphs above. =) I think I am ready, though, for this 4-day stretch of rain to pass by. And according to weather.com, we still have two more days of this!

No comments:

Post a Comment