A Few Good Quotes

"There is something so settled and stodgy about turning a great romance into next of kin on an emergency room form, and something so soothing and special, too." ~ Anna Quindlen

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" ~Mary Anne Radmacher

Thursday, April 14, 2016

Backyard Camp Out

This is my final post from Spring Break. It's been fun reliving it and I actually feel a little sad that it is truly and officially over. Ah, well, summer isn't that far way!

Last summer we attempted a back yard camp out (twice) and only made it until about 8 or 9pm both times. So we didn't really have too high of hopes for this camp out. But the kids had been asking and we do want to be a camping family, so we thought we'd give it a try. We've got to build up our muscles, you know!

Here we are, setting up camp. Ruthie was very eager to help set up the tent.

We had hot dogs on our grill outside, as well as watermelon, grilled bell peppers, and chips. It wouldn't be a camp out without chips!

Then we had to have s'mores. Why is it that the world's messiest dessert is the one you eat while camping, when bathrooms and sinks are hard to come by? Obviously, we had our kitchen and bathrooms nearby but it does make me wonder about when we really go camping...



I love Jonah's face here - mustard from the hot dog and chocolate from the s'more. A face like this is how you know you've had a good camp out!

















And what do you think - did we make it through the night? Jonah had to go in to go to the bathroom at 2am and asked at that time to go to his bed. I went in with him, since I had been listening on the monitor for Isaiah anyway, and Jonah and I slept in my bed together the rest of the night. But Ian and Ruthie made it all night! It gave us great encouragement for this summer, when all four of us might make it. (Though I am not going to lie - when Jonah said he wanted to go to a bed, I was secretly relieved and very happy to be heading to my soft, warm bed.)

No comments:

Post a Comment