A Few Good Quotes

"There is something so settled and stodgy about turning a great romance into next of kin on an emergency room form, and something so soothing and special, too." ~ Anna Quindlen

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" ~Mary Anne Radmacher

Thursday, February 23, 2012

We Barely Survived This Afternoon

I'll try to make this brief.

This afternoon I was making granola, which has been on my to-do list all week. (I should have a post about it later.) Granola is a little fussy, as it needs to be stirred a lot, both in and out of the oven.

I also needed to water this afternoon, which requires setting up the sprinkler and then starting a timer and rotating it every 13 minutes.

So I'm stirring the granola in the oven, then changing the water, then stirring, the changing the water. Add into this mix the fact that I also have a few emails from work that I'm trying to answer.

Of course, Ruthie wakes up before I'm finished with all of these activities and wants to eat. So I'm feeding her, then while I'm sort of burping her I stir the granola (out of the oven now, don't worry). Then the timer goes off for the water, so I dash out to move it.

She didn't have a great nursing and since I was so full, I decided to pump for just a few minutes. So I stir the granola, turn off the water, prop her on the couch next to me and turn on my pump. I pump for just a few minutes, disconnect, lay the pump on the couch and get up to stir the granola. While I'm stirring, I hear a massive toot from her. When I get back to the couch, I realize the massive toot was actually a record-breaking poop (even greater than the Poopageddon). In an effort to save the couch, I quickly grab her and rush her over to the changing table. Once I take her diaper off, I can see that the situation clearly calls for something much more serious. So, we hurry off to the bathtub where I strip her clothes off, thrown them in the tub and get her soaped up and clean. Of course, I didn't have enough hands (or the forethought) to grab her towel out of her room, so after the bath we rush, dripping, back to her room to get her dressed.

Then I head back into the kitchen, stir the granola one final time, go outside to hang up her soiled clothes in the sun (a miracle stain remover) and go to set her back down on the couch. That's when I notice that all the lovely milk I pumped had leaked out of the bottles and onto the sofa. So I rush to grab the couch cleaner and when I get to cleaning it, I notice that not only has it leaked onto the couch, it has leaked through the couch and down onto the carpet. So I'm wiping the carpet, scrubbing the couch, trying to figure out how I can drag it into the sun. I give up, since there is no way I can get it through the door by myself and resign myself (and all of you) to a stinky couch.

And people think being a stay at home mom means eating bon-bons and watching soap operas. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment